Monday, December 16, 2013

Hidden Ingredients - Beware!

So a few days after I put up my recipe for Vegan Stroganoff, one of my friends brought to my attention that Worcestershire sauce isn't actually vegan.  It's not even vegetarian...

Why, you ask??

It contains anchovies!

WHAT??  For someone who tries very hard to 'obey the rules,' it's quite a revelation when you realize that you made a mistake.  And not even the good kind of mistake, where you choose to indulge in, say, mom's delicious homemade cookies, or a frozen treat on the first day Dairy Queen is open.  Nope, this is the completely ignorant choice that you make because you don't know any better.  This is a sauce that's been in our fridge for years and years -  who would have guessed :).

Given that circumstance, I don't really beat myself up over it too much.  What I do choose to do is make everyone else aware, so that they don't mistakenly make the same mistakes I do!

Oh, and take the Worcestershire sauce right out of my fridge.  I have done some googling and come up with plenty of good alternatives to the typical sauce that you'll find in the grocery store.

Annie's Naturals Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
The Wizard's Organic Vegan Worcestershire Sauce


... or, you can make your own with the following recipe :

http://www.marthastewart.com/258132/homemade-vegan-worcestershire-sauce

Looking through the list of ingredients, I realized that I can just augment the portions of some of them in my recipes instead of making the sauce ahead of time.  For the stroganoff for example,  I'll add some extra soy sauce, garlic, and onion, in addition to adding some apple cider vinegar.  Easy and now vegan!

No comments:

Post a Comment